[Ardour-Users] State of Gentoo for audio was Mac recommendations

Paul Winkler slinkp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 07:18:20 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:05:39AM +0000, John Rigg wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 02:00:53PM +0900, sonofzev at iinet.net.au wrote:
> > Am I being naive to keep pushing, or is it really time to look at something
> > else more seriously and give up some of the performance benefits of having
> > a system completely CPU optimised?? <BR>
>
> Any amd64 distro will be optimised completely for x86_64 CPU. Gentoo only
> gives a performance advantage on x86.

I've never bothered to compare performance, but for me that's not the
reason I've stuck with Gentoo longer than any other distro I've tried.
For me it's more about control and configurability (eg. I never could
find a way to tell any other distro "Please do not ever install esd, I
really really do not want it").

There certainly are problems in the gentoo world, eg. the latest
can't-update-because-somebody-released-broken-core-crap debacle:
http://www.odi.ch/weblog/posting.php?posting=524 ... but hey, you can
always wait till it's resolved upstream before updating.

I do envy the relatively lightning-fast package installation speed of
every other distro :-\

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com