[Ardour-Users] subscription support down, your ideas sought

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu May 15 10:08:59 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> Ardour subscription support fell by nearly 20% last month. Out of the
> thousands of downloaders, just 117 people were subscribing during April,
> and only another 5-10 people made one-time donations.
>
> It is vitally important that the financial support for Ardour gets
> distributed across more than just 100+ people and a couple of companies
> (who could decide to change their minds at any time, as SSL did). If you
> have ideas for how to widen the pool of people who support Ardour,
> especially in an ongoing way, please share them with me via this mailing
> list. I'm particularly interested in ideas that don't actually take me
> much time, either in terms of research or implementation.
>
> thanks,
> --p

Just a quick comment about confusing the number of downloads with the
number of real 'users'. I build Ardour at least 2-3 times a month, but
only to try to stay current with what the program is offering. For my
own needs I don't/can't use Ardour, but I have the greatest affinity
for all the work that's been done by you and the core group of
developers, as well as the community of people involved in using it.
There probably no way to know how many other people are like me.

I've discussed Ardour in a couple of the Pro Tools forums over the
years and I've had some rather long conversations with folks over
there about the strengths and weaknesses of both environments. I know
there are other PT/PTLE/PTMP users out there who have an interest like
me. Suffice it to say that I'm still here and one of these days I
expect I'll really make use of all Ardour has to offer. Until then
I'll mostly lurk and try to give inputs if I think there's something
constructive to add.

Cheers and keep it up as long as you can,
Mark