[Ardour-Users] subscription support down, your ideas sought

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Thu May 15 07:56:17 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
wrote:

> Reading this I think the best thing to do is everybody to advice not to
> use Ardour but to give projects like Rosegarden donations.
>
> Why do you program under the GNU if you're only thinking about money,
> money, money? If I would think like you, I would program proprietary
> software. It's your own choice.

While I agree that thinking about money should not be the only motivating
factor, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing preventing people from building a
business off open source software development, that is one of the freedoms
thatis guaranteed by the GPL and I don't know why you would think otherwise.
As I mentioned there are different business models for different markets,
and I prefer to use a service based business model for open source software,
not a product based myself.  If Paul decides he wants to go that route he is
more than welcome to, but it is an assumption that just because people like
me point it out as possibilities, that it is a guarantee he would go that
route.

> I don't mean no harm but the best thing for you is to make Ardour
> proprietary.

COMPLETELY disagree.

      Seablade