[Ardour-Users] subscription support down, your ideas sought

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu May 15 07:50:53 PDT 2008

------- Original Message --------
Date: 	Thu, 15 May 2008 14:55:52 +0100
From: 	Steven Chamberlain <steven at pyro.eu.org>
To: 	ardour-users at lists.ardour.org
<20080514141822.1F167BE031 at joseph.cosgroves.us>
<eb6dc46f0805140840q6f3f124bh95b4c83b3231775d at mail.gmail.com>

> Thomas Vecchione wrote:
>> ...as a coding project, we might be better placed to offer the
>> ability to put bounties on specific features or bugs...
>
> That sounds like an excellent idea to me.  People would be encouraged
> to donate as a result of that, voting with their dollars over what
> gets done next (although it seems Paul was preferring subscriptions
> over one-off donations).
>
> However the real pay-off might come in the long-term.  If priority is
> given to features with the most money on them, that probably means
> Ardour implements or fixes features that have the greatest commercial
> value.  Therefore, Ardour becomes more useful to organisations or
> individuals who make money from Ardour, and could see a rise in
> subscriptions and major sponsorships.

If this would be my project I would program the needed features because
I have fun to do that.

> Although this might even seem like a *bad* thing to some...
>
> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> > IMO the freeloaders who use ardour and don't contribute back to the
> > community are ripping all the rest of us off who enable them to use
> > the software.

Reading this I think the best thing to do is everybody to advice not to
use Ardour but to give projects like Rosegarden donations.

Why do you program under the GNU if you're only thinking about money,
money, money? If I would think like you, I would program proprietary
software. It's your own choice.

> That sounds quite the opposite of the spirit of *free* (in both
> senses), open-source software.  There may be a risk of alienating the
> majority of Ardour's user base in order to please the major sponsors.
> Some developers might be unhappy too.
>
> But it sounds to me like this is the way Paul would like it to go --
> Ardour as it is today may not have been possible without funding.
>
> Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> > put bounties on specific features or bugs...
> >
>> Possibly by pledging their subscription dollars?
>
> I believe Mantis may already have a feature for sponsoring an issue
> with one-off payments (I have seen it at http://issues.outoforder.cc/
> ), so that might be the easiest thing to implement.  But if people
> subscribe to Ardour it only seems fair that they still have control
> over exactly where their money goes.  Perhaps by receiving 'credits'
> which can then (if they want) be spent on whichever issues they choose.
>
> Regards,

I don't mean no harm but the best thing for you is to make Ardour
proprietary.

Cheers,
Ralf