[Ardour-Users] subscription support down, your ideas sought

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue May 13 23:21:48 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Davis" <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
Sent: 13 May 2008 20:04
Subject: Re: [Ardour-Users] subscription support down, your ideas sought

> the real goal here is see the support base broaden, not to push harder
> into the pockets of those who have already done their part.

I'm not a Mac user so forgive me if I'm either talking rubbish or re-stating
an idea that's already been dismissed.  However in my experience, the vast
majority of Mac users are non-technical and probably won't want to be
building Ardour from source.  I don't mean that as an insult to anyone -
just an observation.

Given the above, why can't the OS-X binaries be chargeable?  It needn't be a
massive amount.  And maybe there could be dispensations for special cases
(students / academic institutions etc).  Or maybe the 'previous' version
could be considered as 'Ardour lite' (i.e. a 'free to all' version) but the
most up-to-date binary is chargeable.  It needn't be unreasonably
restrictive.  People could still get the most recent version for free if
they build it themselves or if they qualify for one of the dispensations.
But if they want all the hard work done by somebody else they have to
pay for it.

Paul would need to find some way of stopping other people from undercutting
him but that's a problem with all GPL s/ware.  Is there any (other) GPL
s/ware that manages to sell itself for money and which could be used as a
model?

John