[Ardour-Users] subscription support down, your ideas sought

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue May 13 12:24:13 PDT 2008

On Tue, 13 May 2008, Dave Phillips wrote:

> For may part, I'll start by raising my monthly subscription payment.

Can that be done?  I needed to re-up my subscription a few months ago and
at that time I could only set up a USD $10 recurring payment through
Paypal.  I think you can do a one-time donation of any denomination you
want, but the recurring donations might only be for USD $10.

Paul:
Have many people expressed an interest to you to subscribe at monthly
amounts other than $10?

> I can also run another Ardour update at any time for LJ on-line. I
> have another deadline coming up for a hard-copy article for LJ, so
> perhaps we should do that interview ?

The progress that's been made in Ardour since the version that was used
for the article could definitely be a focal point for the new piece.
Progress has also been made in other areas of Linux audio that complement
and benefit the Ardour user community, such as new device support in
FFADO, which will allow more firewire audio devices to be used with
Ardour.

> I don't know what it would take to get Electronic Musician or Keyboard
> to run a serious look at Ardour. Maybe invite their reviewers to a demo
> at NAMM or a similar show ? Though I imagine that would be costly.

I don't know, but it could be worth placing a bug in someone's ear over
there, if anyone has any contacts.

I think that audio people are beginning to see the value/power/capabilities
of Linux as an audio platform.  Midas' flagship digital mixing console,
the XL8, runs on Linux, and Midas mentions that pretty prominently in
their marketing materials for the XL8.

> IIRC, my articles for LJ and O'Reilly revert to my possession after a
> certain time. However, anything I've written about Ardour is too
> outdated for reprinting. I'd prefer to write a new one. So which
> publications (on-line and  hard-copy) are the most important targets ?

LJ might a good place to start.  Actually, I think it's been a while since
Linux audio and multimedia in general have been covered in depth.  Perhaps
LJ would be receptive to doing another issue that focused on those
subjects?  I could be wrong, but I think it could be worth looking into.

jms