[Ardour-Users] subscription support down, your ideas sought

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue May 13 08:37:47 PDT 2008

On Tue, 13 May 2008, Paul Davis wrote:

> Ardour subscription support fell by nearly 20% last month. Out of the
> thousands of downloaders, just 117 people were subscribing during April,
> and only another 5-10 people made one-time donations.

An idea how many of those were people who cancelled their subscription,
compared to people whose 12-month subscription run ended and they just
didn't renew?  Would it be possible to reach out to the people whose
subscriptions lapsed, as a polite reminder, and include directions for
reactivating their subscriptions?

I'm also wondering if an Ardour survey would be useful, to get a handle on
how it's perceived in the community, i.e:
What do you like about Ardour?
How could Ardour be improved?
If you subscribed to Ardour at some point in the past, what made you
decide not to continue subscribing?

etc...

> It is vitally important that the financial support for Ardour gets
> distributed across more than just 100+ people and a couple of companies
> (who could decide to change their minds at any time, as SSL did). If you
> have ideas for how to widen the pool of people who support Ardour,
> especially in an ongoing way, please share them with me via this mailing
> list. I'm particularly interested in ideas that don't actually take me
> much time, either in terms of research or implementation.

That's probably a question that's being asked by many people in the Linux
communities, not just Ardour, or even Linux audio in general.  Maybe a
write-up in one the larger Linux mags/e-zines (Linux Journal, etc) or even
one of the recording mags would help boost visibility.

Also, would it be worthwhile to have a section on Ardour's website to talk
about Ardour's success stories - people who are using it on a regular
basis in different settings (home studio, live recording, etc), and also
possibly providing samples of work that people have produced with Ardour.
I think one of the common threads in the Ardour community and the
sound/recording geek communities is that people love to talk about their
rigs and show off their work.  A mutual plus would be that it can help
counter some of the perception that Ardour is a pain to set up and get
working correctly, and the people featured would get some welcome
exposure.

My 2 cents.

jms