[Ardour-Users] Motherboard hints and tips?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Jan 31 16:50:04 PST 2008

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> If you want acceleration and open source drivers and have a pci express
> slot (no other choice these days) the best you can do currently (AFAIK)
> is to get an X850 or X800 based Radeon card. They are hard to find. I
> bought several not long ago from Dell. They do have a fan so you will
> have to replace it with some sort of passive cooler if you want/need
> silence.
>
> If the motherboard has an Intel graphics card built in (x3100 or so, I
> think) then you could use it, there's open source drivers for them. They
> are not so fast but well, they work.

I've had really good luck with Matrox video cards.  I have a Millenium
G450 in my main Ardour workstation and no real complaints.  It's well
supported in Linux and I believe it will support dual-head operation if
you have a big workspace and need a second monitor.

There are newer versions that have dual DVI outputs if you need them.

jms