[Ardour-Users] Motherboard hints and tips?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Jan 31 11:12:27 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 13:56 -0500, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> Along somewhat similar lines, is anyone experimenting with Ardour and
> related apps in a multiprocessor box?  While Ardour itself isn't
> especially CPU hungry, I'd think that being able to spread the processor
> load from plugins and so forth over multiple CPUs, or assign those tasks
> to other CPUs could be useful in some situations.

thats a 3.X feature. Ardour currently tries to do all DSP/audio stuff on
1 processor (or more precisely, in 1 thread), leaving other CPUs to run
the GUI, do disk i/o, MIDI i/o etc. This was a decision made when dual
core processors were still exotic.

We will be parallelizing parts of the signal processing flow in 3.X.