[Ardour-Users] Motherboard hints and tips?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 31 10:01:04 PST 2008

Wow! What a helpful and rapid bunch of responses, you've all helped
clear up most of the confusion that was in my head.

I'm afraid I'm still not completely convinced about the practicalities
of 64-bit systems. I completely understand the technical arguments why
they're a good thing, and if I was building a system entirely for audio
I'd go straight for a 64 bit system without hesitation. But as I said,
I'm building a compromise system which has to do everything, and do it
without great hassle. From reading the Mandriva forums I'm not going to
be able to get things like Flash player and the like to work without
using a mixture of 32-bit and 64-bit apps, and that just sounds to me
like a whole load of hassle I can do without. I don't need
out-of-this-world performance, but I do need something that is simple to
set up. So it's 32 bit for me. Also, quietness is very important for me,
I want to build a system that is as inaudible as possible on my limited
budget.. so the cooler the processor runs the slower the fans can run
and the queiter the system will be. I've found out that with the right
heatsink you can run a Core 2 Duo with no fan at 3GHz... that's a
selling point for me.

I investigated Asus and Tyan motherboards.. they're a little out of my
price range unfortunately. From comparing specs and reading reviews I've
decided on a Gigabyte board. Anyone have anything to say about Gigabyte
motherboards before I spend cash?

It's just occurred to me that it sounds like I'm just ignoring
everything you've all said and making my own mind up... :-) I'm not,
everything that's been said has helped me and it all gave me a place to
start.

Two final questions: It seems impossible to get a decent mobo which
doesn't have a pci express 16x slot on it. So I may as well stick a
graphics card in it. But are there downsides to using 'big hoofer'
graphics cards (like bus-hogging?) and would I be better off with a
cheaper PCI card, or a lower-spec pci-e 1x card?

Secondly every mobo I've looked at today has 5.1 or 7.1 audio built in.
It's not a problem for me as I'm using a firewire audio card anyway, but
are these audio chips likely to cause me any issues? On my current PC I
keep ALSA running on the on-board sound card just for non-jack-aware
apps and it's useful to have so I don't always have to run jack.

While I'm at it, for a laugh, I'll tell you what's going on on my
current mobo... VIA chipsets everywhere... graphics card shares an IRQ
with the ethernet card and a USB controller, my firewire card shares an
IRQ with the IDE controller... there's no way to change it.... jack at
idle in RT mode (not with the rt patch though) consumes 5% of CPU
time.... 4 tracks in ardour and I'm at 30% CPU usage... Moving windows
around while playing audio back causes dropouts (but no xruns..??..) I
really couldn't have a worse machine if I tried :D And Ardour just keeps
on going..... unless I let the screensaver cut in at which point
everything connected to jack loses its connection... sigh... this is why
I'm so grateful for all your help :)

Mark