[Ardour-Users] Motherboard hints and tips?

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Thu Jan 31 09:53:13 PST 2008

On 31 January 2008 at 12:36, "Wilson, Jed S" <jed at wilson.org> wrote:

> Can someone post a few relatively authoritative links on "quiet" computers
> -- i.e., those one can have in the same room as recording microphones.

I've been happy purchasing parts from both of the following.  I'm not
affiliated in any way, other than being a customer, of either.

https://www.cooltechpc.com/
http://www.quietpcusa.com/

If you want some science, then have a look here:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

That's a very good site, and it always gets mentioned when this
thread surfaces.  LAU just finished this thread a while ago.

> I can use my laptop now [very quiet], but would eventually like to have a
> desktop/tower that won't generate the vast quantities of noise I'm getting
> now from my current multi-fan wonder].
>
> Aside but related:
> I realize "recording microphones" is a very general statement [e.g., SM57
> behaves differently than a very sensitive condenser/ribbon].  Ideally one
> would have an isolation booth.  However, at present for me this is
> impractical.

Look on the Ethan Winer site for how he built isolation around the
PC, which certainly is cheaper than building isolation around the
performer.

FWIW, I've had good luck recording drums, acoustic guitar, and vocals
in the same room with my PC.  I use gobos, which helps too.

G'luck....

--
Kevin