[Ardour-Users] Hydrogen/Ardour sync problem

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 28 01:52:42 PST 2008

Hi all,

I've encountered a problem. I've been recording a track with all audio
in ardour using a drum pattern created in hydrogen. While recordiing my
instruments I've been using ardour as time master and syncing ardour and
hydrogen to jack so hydrogen plays back while I record. Now I've come to
do a mixdown I've recorded my hydrogen part into a track in ardour. When
I now play back the recording the drums are ever so slightly out of
time. If I play back the recording and have hydrogen playing I can
actually hear the phasing effect caused by playing the same drum pattern
twice, a few milliseconds apart. It's not possible to tell if hydrogen
is ahead or behind, but it's definitely not in sync.

Is this normal behaviour?

One thought occurs to me. I recently rebuilt ardour and hydrogen using
CFLAGS settings specific to my hardware (athlon), whereas my jack is an
rpm built, I think, for i586. Could this difference have any effect?

Thanks,

Mark. (With apologies to the moderators as I accidentally sent this
yesterday from the wrong email address)