[Ardour-Users] An Ardour hack idea I'd like to try.

Jonathan Stowe jns at gellyfish.com
Thu Jan 24 23:26:15 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 20:55 -0500, Sean Corbett wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2008 7:26 PM, Ross Johnson <Ross.Johnson at homemail.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>         Paul Davis wrote:
>         > On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 14:28 -0500, Sean Corbett wrote:
>         >
>         >> Good day all,
>         >>
>         >> This is mainly aimed at the Ardour developers, but as it
>         doesn't
>         >> pertain to the development of Ardour proper, I'm posting it
>         here
>         >> instead of the -dev list (where I've also been lurking for
>         a while).
>         >>
>         >> If one were to attempt to add serial port functionality to
>         Ardour,
>         >> where would the best place be to start?  The control
>         surface code?  My
>         >> idea is to use a simple RS232-controlled relay board to
>         turn on and
>         >> off a "Recording" light in the tracking room of my studio.
>          There are
>         >> a ton of such relay boards out there, and I'm guessing
>         there are an
>         >> overabundance of serial port libraries I could use (in fact
>         I probably
>         >> already have some installed).  Eventually I might attempt
>         to do some
>         >> custom control surface stuff, but I'd be better off keeping
>         it simple
>         >> for now.
>         >>
>         >
>         > its both simpler and more complex than you think. the
>         easiest method
>         > would just involve adding some code directly to ardour,
>         handling the
>         > same internal signal that the GUI does to indicate recording
>         status.
>         >
>         > a better way would be to have Ardour emit a few bytes (OSC,
>         even) to a
>         > pipe or socket, and have another app listening.
>         >

>         I don't know if Ardour has the capability or not but wouldn't
>         midi be
>         the better way to go?
>
>         See for example:-
>         http://www.punchlight.com/?q=node/3
>

> midi would perhaps abe a bit more flexible, but I would think a little
> 232 relay board would almost certainly be cheaper, and it's really
> only a matter of sending a simple  3-byte command via the serial port
> (at least on the couple of boards i've looked into).

I think I suggested this to someone before on IRC, but a possibly more
flexible approach would be to create a small standalone program that
receives MIDI Machine Control messages emitted by Ardour (or any other
program for that matter,) and then have that control your relay board or
whatever. The advantage of this is that you don't have to make yourself
a non-standard version of Ardour and that you can use it with any other
program.

/J\
--
Winners don't do de-tox