[Ardour-Users] An Ardour hack idea I'd like to try.

Sean Corbett seanbutnotheard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 17:55:53 PST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 7:26 PM, Ross Johnson <Ross.Johnson at homemail.com.au> wrote:

> Paul Davis wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 14:28 -0500, Sean Corbett wrote:
> >
> >> Good day all,
> >>
> >> This is mainly aimed at the Ardour developers, but as it doesn't
> >> pertain to the development of Ardour proper, I'm posting it here
> >> instead of the -dev list (where I've also been lurking for a while).
> >>
> >> If one were to attempt to add serial port functionality to Ardour,
> >> where would the best place be to start?  The control surface code?  My
> >> idea is to use a simple RS232-controlled relay board to turn on and
> >> off a "Recording" light in the tracking room of my studio.  There are
> >> a ton of such relay boards out there, and I'm guessing there are an
> >> overabundance of serial port libraries I could use (in fact I probably
> >> already have some installed).  Eventually I might attempt to do some
> >> custom control surface stuff, but I'd be better off keeping it simple
> >> for now.
> >>

> > its both simpler and more complex than you think. the easiest method
> > would just involve adding some code directly to ardour, handling the
> > same internal signal that the GUI does to indicate recording status.
> >
> > a better way would be to have Ardour emit a few bytes (OSC, even) to a
> > pipe or socket, and have another app listening.
> >
> I don't know if Ardour has the capability or not but wouldn't midi be
> the better way to go?
>
> See for example:-
> http://www.punchlight.com/?q=node/3

midi would perhaps abe a bit more flexible, but I would think a little 232
relay board would almost certainly be cheaper, and it's really only a matter
of sending a simple  3-byte command via the serial port (at least on the
couple of boards i've looked into).  the C++ equivalent of echo 'AH1' >
/dev/ttyS0 might even work.  i haven't done a lot of development under linux
though so i'm not sure.  see here: http://www.pencomdesign.com/2ch_relay.htm
(there are other versions of the board, this one's just to give an idea)

actually having the light flash with the record-arm button and then go solid
when rolling would be perfect.  hacking the code is what i might try for now
at least... it would be a way to get my feet wet with the ardour code (i.e.,
something i can actually wrap my head around).

thanks for your time guys...