[Ardour-Users] non-active track still read fron disk?

Martin Lynch martin.lynch at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 8 01:11:23 PST 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 20:20 -0400, francis keyes wrote:

> > Hi All,
> >
> > Is there a version of Ardour 2 available in which audio tracks, when
> > deactivated, will not be read from the disk on playback?
> > Right now I am using ardour2-2.1-1.fc7.ccrma
> > I have a huge session with lots of tracks but I don't need to hear all
> > the tracks at once.  I am having a hard time playing the session
> > because "The disk on my system can't keep up with Ardour."
> > I can solve this problem by deactivating (right-click on the track and
> > un-check Active) AND muting the audio regions in the tracks I'm not
> > using.  Having to mute all the regions in a deactivated track seems
> > redundant and is a pain in the neck.  Is this the way Ardour is
> > supposed to work?  Is it "fixed" in a newer version?

its not fixed, but its a very good observation. i think i can fix this
very easily tomorrow, before i release 2.2. stay tuned.

_________

Delighted to hear this is being fixed - I posted to the forums about
this back in early Nov and also to this list around the same time -
didn't know about the workaround you figured out, Francis, and ended up
deleting a whole bunch of takes just to get it to play thru to the end
without the "disk unable to keep up" error. Since then I've been
deleting takes on a regular basis to avoid this situation. Can't wait
for 2.2!

On a completely unrelated note, any chance the session end marker can be
made visible at all zoom levels? I'm running 2.0.5 so perhaps this is
already fixed in a subsequent version...

Cheers!

Martin