[Ardour-Users] Motherboard hints and tips?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 2 17:38:03 PST 2008

You're right - Ardour can't load a softsynth.

Now, this isn't really answering your question, but this is what I like
to do. I don't really understand what you mean by an offline mixdown, so
what I'm about to say may be utterly useless to you, but it's late and
I'm drunk so here goes...

I'm no big fan of MIDI sequencers, I have an irrational fear of piano
roll editors... What I do is use jack-dssi-host and dssi-vst. If you
install both of these and set the environment variable VST_PATH to point
to where your VST instruments are installed, it's a simple matter of
typing 'jack-dssi-host dssi-vst.so:PluginName.dll' (PluginName being the
instrument you want to use). You can then use qjackctrl to connect the
audio output of the softsynth into Ardour, connect your MIDI input to
the softsynth's MIDI input, and even connect the softsynth direct to
your soundcard's output (for 'hardware-style' monitoring) and just
record the audio output of the softsynth into Ardour as you play. I've
used this successfully with Native Instruments VST synth plugins, and
the GMedia M-Tron. I've got a 2GHz athlon and 1GB of RAM, so if it works
for me it ought to work for you, although I recall you saying you had
worse motherboard issues than even I do.

I would assume that there's also no reason why you can't patch the MIDI
input into Rosegarden so you can record the MIDI as well, or patch
Rosegarden into the softsynth's input so the softsynth plays back a
prerecorded MIDI file. It's all about patching things into other things
(to paraphrase Monty Python) with Jack. The power of it is all in qjackctl.

If that made sense, I'm less drunk than I feel.

Mark