[Ardour-Users] Expanding the manual

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 08:04:56 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Tanjeff-Nicolai Moos <
tanjeff at not-another-server.net> wrote:

> Am Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:19:31 +0100
> schrieb Tanjeff-Nicolai Moos <tanjeff at not-another-server.net>:
>
> > I'm quite new to ardour and want help expanding the users manual a bit
> > as I learn to use the software.
> Yet another question, related to versions and the build system.
> Seemingly you do maintain a 2.x branch as well as a 3.x branch. I use
> 2.x because I want a stable application. Currently my distro
> (archlinux) offers 2.5. When updating the manual, is it okay to write
> for the 2.x  branch?

To each their own, and I am not the one to answer that.  Personally I have
several things I would say on that topic.

My personal thought is that at the moment it wouldn't be a bad idea to aim
for getting the manual ready for 3.0 as it will take a bit of time to update
I believe and 3.0 will build upon information for 2.0 in many respects.    I
do at least suggest you use the latest version of Ardour (2.7.1) as there
are many bugfixes and features that have been added since 2.5   Again
however I am not really the one to answer that though, this is only my
personal opinion.

Secondly: how to build the manual? Is it neccessary to build the
> complete app? The makefile say that a scons script has to be run.

I don't THINK that there is a build target for the manual in scons.  I would
just use standard docbook utilities to build the html, and dblatex will
allow you to create a PDF of it I believe, though I have not tried it on the
Ardour manual, only on other very small docbook projects.

       Seablade