[Ardour-Users] [64studio-users] Just a suggestion about how to handle bug reports

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Dec 16 16:26:42 PST 2008

Hi Gustin :)

it's easy to get named a troll. What should a user do, that has troubles
with JACK?

I like the 64 Studio community, unfortunately the version for the 64
Studio 2.1 stable version is 0.103.

It's silly if a user reports a bug about that version, while the JACK
developers needs statements about 0.116.

There are distros like Suse, that supports 0.116 by community packages,
e.g. for Suse it's the Packman repository.

I had contact to the packager by the Linux Club.

People reported that bug e.g. to the Ardour forums, a long time before I
had this bug. There they say, it's a JACK bug, but this isn't true, it
was a packman bug. http://ardour.org/node/2271

I don't want to talk again about this, because I'm personal involved in
this, maybe someone of those who replied off-list can give other
examples, I won't quote private mails.

Testing of RCs often is unwanted. I tried to make a howto and needed
help and that was unwanted. And people don't report bugs to the right
places, 1. because they don't know the right places and 2. because they
know, that they will get bashed.

When I reported the JACK package bug for Packman I get sarcasms.  I was
a troll, who made everything wrong, because I have no knowledge. Nobody
but me should have this bug too, written by the packer, who asserted
that he makes music with the packages from Packman. This must be a lie,
because this package is broken for everyone.

1. If you like to help and write a howto, but you need some help because
you e.g. don't know that compilers differ for several Linux, you need to
add headers for some applications, than you do something that is unwanted.
2. If you report that something don't work, you need help, than you are
a troll, because it's not true.

I'm not the only one. Why can you find bugs in the web, that are not
reported to the right people?

I got mails off-list, with statements similar to "I recently got raked
over the coals by ...".

Which distribution can I use, that is wanted by the developers? How do I
have to report bugs? When I say "Hello, there's a bug" I don't want the
answer, that I'm a noob, nobody has this bug, while the whole community
has got the same bug.

I'm not the "Girl, interrupted" when I reported a bug and I'm not a
individual case. I get crazed, when people are unconvincable, they don't
need to excuse, while people like me get banned.

The only thing users can do, is to report bugs anonymous, in forums
somewhere in the web, instead of talking to the right people.

Misspelling for a user who reports something should be allowed.
Posting a bug that was posted before, should be allowed.
Posting a bug of a front or back end to the back or front end people
should be allowed.
To be stupid should be allowed.

But it isn't.

Cheers,
Ralf

PS: I have a bad conscience because I wrote this troll like stuff. I
also get off-list mails that this will break the work. But I guess it's
a topic, if Linux is also for Users. I never developed anything for
Linux, but I was a developer too. I don't understand the problem with
bug reports. At the moment it looks like I'm not banned in much mailing
lists, as it was written.