[Ardour-Users] building a new machine for Ardour

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 14:53:21 PST 2008

My view is that system and swap on the same drive is fine especially
if you've got DRAM. If you are going to mix a lot of tracks than you
might want multiple storage drives. I've used as many as 3 external
1394 drives - none very fast really - mixing 70 tracks as an
experiment. It worked pretty well. As I remember it I started to get
limited in X I think. Too many VU meters, etc., putting a load on my
under-powered non-gaming graphics controller. The machine is my main
now 4-year old AMD 64. At the time it had 1GB. It now has 4GB.

Ardour on Gentoo is really pretty CPU & drive efficient compared to
Pro Tools on the same hardware. Where things get dodgey is with
plug-ins. The Windows ones are generally less CPU intensive in my
experience.

Again, I'm assuming some small number of tracks getting recorded at
any one time - maybe 6-8 max, and then potentially mixing lots and
lots of tracks as you and Phil Spector build your Wall of Sound.

Hope this helps,
Mark