[Ardour-Users] punch-in with hardware monitoring - latency problem

Giso Grimm gg3137 at vegri.net
Mon Dec 1 13:19:54 PST 2008

Hi,

plutek-infinity wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:04:38 -0500 From: plutek-infinity
>> <plutek at infinity.net>
>
>> i'm using ardour v2.7 with an RME Multiface and hardware monitoring
>> for the headphone mix in a multi-tracking situation.

[...]

> replying to myself.... i see in
> http://osdir.com/ml/audio.ardour.user/2005-04/msg00143.html paul's
> comment:
>
> "you cannot do zero latency input monitoring *and* playback on the
> same channel. the hardware just doesn't allow it."

Paul is mentioning RME Hammerfall 9636 (it would be the same for the RME
Digi96 family), but is not the same on the hdsp-series, where (as you
already wrote in a later mail) mixing software-output and hardware input
with zero latency (i.e., 3 samples plus anti-aliasing filters, still
about 1.5 ms for most converters) is possible.

Actually I observed similar problems with the delay compensation in 2.6,
but I am not yet sure enough to report a bug: I have the feeling that it
is related to opening 0.99 sessions, which affects the instant.xml or
similar, which will cause ardour2.x internal defaults others than shown
in the menus. Switching it in the menus (track context menu, alignment,
align with existing material), saving it once, switching it back, saving
again will possibly solve the problem. The same is with crossfade
settings. But again, it is more a feeling than an observation, to early
to call it a bug.

Did you load a 0.99 session recently?

Giso