[Ardour-Users] jack sample rate

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 04:24:48 PDT 2008

Solved: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=377915

>From the looks of it, we can summarise this behaviour as per the following:

1) Hardware limitation; most onboard chipsets have a 48KHz-only codec.

"Takashi Iwai suggested:

Check your /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0 file, whether it
contains "VRA" in Extended ID section. If not, it's 48k-only codec."

Your path _will_ be different, just navigate to /proc/asound/card0 and
you'll know. For most of you it'd be "cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0" and no
"Extended ID section" - just "rates".

-- OR --

2) ALSA limitation; use a different driver like OSS and/or disable RT (as
suggested by someone else, doesn't work for me).

Apparently the OSS back-end does resampling. I'm taken aback as to why ALSA
is inferior in this case - or maybe it is for the best that the users in
concern don't use anything besides 48000Hz.

"According to Takashi, because the OSS backend resamples by default. This
is the most appropriate behaviour for consumer-type sound applications.
For example, if your browser plays a Flash animation with a 22kHz
soundtrack directly to a 48kHz interface, the sound is raised in pitch
accordingly."