[Ardour-Users] Ardour doesn't play

Daniël Schenk danielschenk+list at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 04:21:16 PDT 2008

Hi,
I'm using:
Ardour 1:2.0.5-1ubuntu1
jackd 0.103.0-6ubuntu1

jackd is running with Ardour.

I'm getting this on the command line (the xrun message keeps going on so I
cut a lot out and replaced with ...). I tried to play something again.

WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!
This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs out of
memory. You can view the memory limit with 'ulimit -l', and it is normally
controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf
Ardour/GTK 2.0.5
   (built using 2234 and GCC version 4.1.3 20070805 (prerelease) (Ubuntu
4.1.2-15ubuntu1))
Copyright (C) 1999-2007 Paul Davis
Some portions Copyright (C) Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel
Baker

Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
under certain conditions; see the source for copying conditions.
theme_init() called from internal clearlooks engine
/usr/share/themes/Glossy/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:62: error: unexpected identifier
`colorize_scrollbar', expected character `}'
Configuration::pack_canvasvars () called, canvas_colors.size() = 82
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file
/etc/ardour2/ardour2_ui_dark.rc
theme_init() called from internal clearlooks engine
ardour: [INFO]: No H/W specific optimizations in use
ardour: [INFO]: looking for control protocols in
/home/daniel/.ardour2/surfaces/:/usr/lib/ardour2/surfaces/
Unable to open "/dev/input/event0": Toegang geweigerd
Unable to open "/dev/input/event1": Toegang geweigerd
Unable to open "/dev/input/event2": Toegang geweigerd
Unable to open "/dev/input/event3": Toegang geweigerd
Unable to open "/dev/input/event4": Toegang geweigerd
Unable to open "/dev/input/event5": Bestand of map bestaat niet
Unable to open "/dev/input/event6": Bestand of map bestaat niet
Unable to open "/dev/input/event7": Bestand of map bestaat niet
Unable to open "/dev/input/event8": Bestand of map bestaat niet
Unable to open "/dev/input/event9": Bestand of map bestaat niet
Unable to open "/dev/input/event10": Bestand of map bestaat niet
Unable to open "/dev/input/event11": Bestand of map bestaat niet
Unable to open "/dev/input/event12": Bestand of map bestaat niet
Unable to open "/dev/input/event13": Bestand of map bestaat niet
Unable to open "/dev/input/event14": Bestand of map bestaat niet
Unable to open "/dev/input/event15": Bestand of map bestaat niet
powermate: Opening of powermate failed - Bestand of map bestaat niet
ardour: [INFO]: Control protocol powermate not usable
ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Generic MIDI"
ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Mackie"
JACK tmpdir identified as [/dev/shm]
jackd 0.103.0
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

Enhanced3DNow! detected
SSE2 detected
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.119 msecs

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 2.351 msecs

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.244 msecs

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 1.288 msecs

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 2.287 msecs

Enhanced3DNow! detected
SSE2 detected
ardour: [INFO]: JACK server started

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 3.302 msecs

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.022 msecs

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.214 msecs

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.133 msecs

Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve
property `GtkWidget::cursor-color' of type `GdkColor' from rc file value
"((GString*) 0x122eb60)" of type `GString'

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.000 msecs

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.208 msecs

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.590 msecs

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.713 msecs

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 2.137 msecs

I hope anyone can get something out of this.

Greets,
Daniel

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de>
wrote:

> Am Samstag, 12. April 2008 schrieb Daniël Schenk:
> > Hi, I can't get Ardour to play. If I press the play button, nothing
> > happens. I'm using Ardour on Ubuntu 7.10 in a VMware virtual machine. I
> > installed the VMware toolbox and I can play MP3 files with Totem.
>
> > What's wrong?
>
> That one is easy: You are not giving enough information...
>
> Is jack running? Which versions of jack and ardour are you using? Is there
> any
> message on the commandline? (If you didn't yet try to start ardour on the
> commandline, try now.)
>
> Have fun,
>
> Arnold
> --
> visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
> ---
> Hi, I am a .signature virus. Please copy me into your ~/.signature and
> send me
> to all your contacts.
> After a month or so log in as root and do a "rm -rf /". Or ask your
> administrator to do so...

Groeten,
Daniël