[Ardour-Users] After normalize, clipped but sounds OK

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Apr 3 06:29:32 PDT 2008

Ben:

I wanted to point out one last thing.  I've used the multiband compression
technique below with great results.  I recorded a show in a bar with about
8 vocalists and musicians packed onto a pretty small stage (~5m x ~5m) and
the on-stage volume was absolutely nuts.  The bass guitar was swallowing
up everything in the recorded mix.  I had two ambient mics on stage for
crowd coverage, plus patches of the on-stage stuff from the house PA.  The
bass was really loud in the stage monitors (of which I had no control),
and it was getting picked up like crazy by the kick drum mic and the drum
overheads.

Luckily it was just a few bass notes that really seemed to blow everything
out, so I was able to back a pretty narrow frequency band off in the
respective inputs and then give it a once-over with the multiband
compressor when I mastered the show.  In jamin I was able to compress the
low frequencies a little more aggressively, and set the range covered by
the low comopressor/EQ to <200Hz, and it worked like a charm.

There were a few spots where I needed to do some more aggressive spot
filtering of some boomy bass notes that snuck through the compression,
which I was able to do in Audacity.  Since I knew the frequencies that
were blowing out, I could notch those out with no noticeable impact on the
master track.

So, without listening to what you recorded, I'd say you can do what you're
looking to do, but it might take a pass or two to get things fine-tuned to
where you want them.

Hope this helps.

jms