[Ardour-Users] After normalize, clipped but sounds OK

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Apr 2 14:07:29 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, Ben Powers wrote:

> Hello Ardour-users!
>
> I have a region that starts with very soft music and  moves on to a
> region of medium volume with lots of loud clapping. I normalized the
> region according to the quiet section by shortening it to the quiet
> section and then normalizing, and finally expanding it to full length.
> The whole region, including loud parts, was therefore normalized as if it
> only contained quiet parts.
>
> Now I have a region looks like its intensely clipped, to alleviate the
> effect of the clipping, I automated the gain way down. When I play it
> back, it sounds ok to my untrained ears, but I can't escape the feeling
> that even though the meters arent peaking except for on the claps (which
> I'm fine with) the sound will come out badly in the final mix. Are my
> fears unfounded?

If you're happy with the overall balance of the mix, you could pipe it
through jamin to make use of its multiband compressor to tame the dynamics
in the clapping part.  Bounce the output back to a stereo track in Ardour
and you have a finished track that you can export/burn/etc.

If the applause is on a specific channel or two, you could apply
compression to those channels to minimize the effect of the compression on
other elements in your recording.

jms