[Ardour-Users] Howto firgure settings out

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Sep 19 09:11:52 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 09:02 -0700, Martin Lynch wrote:
> You know, Brett, I've had exactly the same thoughts - if Ardour can
> calculate the latency, why can't it compensate for it? And if it can,
> does it? I think you'd necessarily need to be monitoring the track
> you're recording at a stage prior to it getting to JACK/Ardour (ie
> directly out of the instrument or listening to the guitar/amp itself)
> for it to work. Conversely, I suppose you could ignore the latency
> altogether and simply record the track, making sure you're not
> monitoring the recorded signal of the track you're recording, and then
> simply move the newly recorded track back by an amount equal to the
> latency...as long as you're not in a position whereby you pick the
> string of a guitar but only hear the result later it should work - can
> a developer comment on this?

we compensate for latency when playing back existing material via
plugins and signal routings that include latency. but we cannot do this
with live material. anything we could do to the material would only make
it later, and its the lateness that is the "problem". the alignment with
other (existing material) is really a less significant issue compared to
the sense of lag in hearing the results of whatever your fingers or feet
are doing.

--p