[Ardour-Users] Important test:

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Sep 15 03:31:49 PDT 2007

Hi Geoff,

I've endured clicks with Ardour ever since I first installed it.  I'm not
convinced it's always Ardour's fault though - in my case, I think my
graphics card is at least partly responsible.

I use quite an old - but trusty - graphics card.  However, the Linux drivers
are nowhere near the standard of the Windows ones.  For example, if I'm
playing some audio from Ardour and I simply grab a window title bar (any
window) and physically move the window on my screen, the audio output
glitches (100% repeatable).  If I open the mixer window and simply write
some automation (e.g. drag a fader with my mouse) the audio glitches (also
100% repeatable).  Strangely however, I even get glitches when simply
playing across a crossfade (about 70% repeatable).  I don't think this last
one is graphics related.

I mentioned in a recent post that there's often a conflict of interests
between product sophistication and performance.  As products like Ardour
grow in sophistication, their demands on the hardware grow similarly.
Therefore, hardware that used to run the application perfectly will
eventually start to struggle.  This is true of any product that's either
resource hungry - or processor/hardware intensive.

It's a simple fact of life that you can't design a complicated product to
run perfectly on an unlimited range of unknown hardware.  A point always
comes when you need to start specifying the minimum hardware requirements
and/or produce a hardware compatibility list.

I'm quite new to Ardour so I don't really know when that point got reached.
All I can say is that it was probably reached before I got involved.  I can
say that confidently because Ardour has never run acceptably with my
particular configuration.  Like you, I've tried many different distros
without success.

I've often been tempted to try one of the 'audio specific' distros like
64studio but I don't think it would be any better than the 7 distros I've
already tried.  If the problem is down to hardware, then a hardware
solution is the only real answer.

In your case it might not be a hardware problem but whether it is or it
isn't, Ardour (IMHO) is well past the stage of needing a 'recommended
hardware' list.

Regards,

John