[Ardour-Users] multichannel files and envelope lines

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Sep 13 19:26:42 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 21:41 -0400, Hector Centeno wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some questions regarding using multichannel files in Ardour. I
> tried to import a 12 channel aiff file and checked the option for
> splitting channels in the import dialog

what version of ardour ? the import dialog has been radically overhauled
in the last 2-3 weeks. I believe this should work fine in
branches/2.0-ongoing (and the ever-upcoming 2.1).

> but what I got was only
> channel one in one track. Also tried importing the 12 channel file in
> one track and the resulting region displayed 12 stacked duplicates of
> channel 1.

this is caused by a bug that i discovered a day or two back. its been
fixed now. it does not affect the audio at all, but it does mean that
multichannel waveform display has an error.

> My second question is regarding the Master output. It seems to be
> limited to 2 channels, is that right?

no, its not right.

>  I can't add more than 2 channels
> because the button in the outputs dialog becomes grayed out after
> adding the second one.

this is a bug. the initial config of the master bus is given in teh
"Advanced Options" section of the new session dialog, and they can have
any number of channels. However, the I/O configuration is not supposed
to be fixed after creation. I will fix that.

> And finally, I was wondering what is the status of the bug that
> appeared in 2.0.5 regarding the envelope lines being invisible? Is it
> fixed in trunk?

trunk is not the place to look for fixes to the 2.0-ongoing code. it has
been fixed, however, in branches/2.0-ongoing (and trunk too).