[Ardour-Users] Ardour input level issues

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Wed Oct 24 12:40:23 PDT 2007

On 10/24/07, Thomas Dermako <dermakot716 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Still working on this - here's a screenshot.
> http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/dermakot716/Screenshot.png
> Notice that the meter shows -3 db max, but the audio is quite distorted.
> This time I'm not monitoring thru the board at all and the levels are set
> really low. Yeah ok, behringer's crap, but I've been using this to monitor
> for over a year now with no probs. Any other ideas?

In this particular case, the ardour meters are set to meter the track
output which is post-panning, hence the -3db.   You can change the
metering to input/pre by clicking the button below the fader (or right
clicking on the fader, i forget).  Note that when rec-enabled a track
switches its metering by default to input which is what you want to
see when setting input levels.

The red on the waveform display indicates abs(values) >= 1.0 (or maybe
ever so slightly less) , which definitely indicates your A/D was
clipping assuming this was the original recorded region.  You would
have seen this on the numeric peak indicator above the meter when
recording (assuming the meter was set on input).

jlc