[Ardour-Users] OT - plugin to remove buzz from harp note

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Mon Oct 22 00:25:47 PDT 2007

Quoting brad stafford <brad at eccwireless.com>:

> I've tried google and experimenting with various plugins (SC4, lowpass,
> EQ and others)  but I can't find a solution to my problem. I recorded a
> lady playing a harp and when she played a second note on a string that
> is already vibrating, as her finger came in contact with the vibrating
> string, a buzz occurred until full contact with the string is made. Is
> there a plugin or method that will remove the buzz? This scenario
> happened 20 - 30 times in one song.

I'm a fan of the "get it right at the source" method. But sometimes you
don't have any other chance than to modify what was recorded. And often
these irritating sounds come from recording setup, not the actual playing.

You could try a de-esser for the buzz. If the buzzing sound is pronounced on
certain frequencies the de-esser should be able to home in on those sounds
and at least mellow it down. You could also automate the de-esser so that
it's active only in the parts where you know the buzz happens so that you
don't get anomalies in the rest of the track.

  Sampo

  Sampo