[Ardour-Users] OT - plugin to remove buzz from harp note

brad stafford brad at eccwireless.com
Sun Oct 21 15:27:49 PDT 2007

Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, brad stafford wrote:
>

>> I've tried google and experimenting with various plugins (SC4, lowpass,
>> EQ and others)  but I can't find a solution to my problem. I recorded a
>> lady playing a harp and when she played a second note on a string that
>> is already vibrating, as her finger came in contact with the vibrating
>> string, a buzz occurred until full contact with the string is made. Is
>> there a plugin or method that will remove the buzz? This scenario
>> happened 20 - 30 times in one song.
>>

> First question - can you hear the noise when you're listening to the harp
> 'live', i.e. just your ears, through any recording gear?
>
> If the noise is always at about the same frequency, you could use a
> graphic EQ to 'notch out' those frequencies, but I would be hesitant to do
> so.  If the noise more or less follows the fundamental note of the string
> being plucked, notching out frequencies would not really work.
>
> While I've never recorded a harp, have you tried different mics, or
> different mic placements?  It's possible that the mic is picking up some
> sort of harmonic resonance from the harp itself.
>
> Do you have sample of the noise that you'd be willing to share?  Is it
> more pronounced just at the bass end of the harp, or is it all over?
>
> It's also possible that the string noise is just part of this woman's
> playing technique.  The same can also be said for people who play other
> stringed instruments.
>
> jms

Thanks Justin, Florian and m.eik for the responses. I've sent each of
you a snip of the harp track.

m.eik, I'll give Audacity a try.

Justin, yes the buzzes are audible live and get amplified of course when
I increase the volume on the quiter passages using Ardour. The buzz
happens all over but it's much easier to hear at the higher frequencies.

Florian - I agree with you on most noises except this one. When I record
a guitar for example I have a tendency to leave in the mechanics and
fret noises. But this buzz is annoying as heck.

Brad.