[Ardour-Users] OT - plugin to remove buzz from harp note

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Sun Oct 21 12:34:44 PDT 2007

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, brad stafford wrote:

> I've tried google and experimenting with various plugins (SC4, lowpass,
> EQ and others)  but I can't find a solution to my problem. I recorded a
> lady playing a harp and when she played a second note on a string that
> is already vibrating, as her finger came in contact with the vibrating
> string, a buzz occurred until full contact with the string is made. Is
> there a plugin or method that will remove the buzz? This scenario
> happened 20 - 30 times in one song.

First question - can you hear the noise when you're listening to the harp
'live', i.e. just your ears, through any recording gear?

If the noise is always at about the same frequency, you could use a
graphic EQ to 'notch out' those frequencies, but I would be hesitant to do
so.  If the noise more or less follows the fundamental note of the string
being plucked, notching out frequencies would not really work.

While I've never recorded a harp, have you tried different mics, or
different mic placements?  It's possible that the mic is picking up some
sort of harmonic resonance from the harp itself.

Do you have sample of the noise that you'd be willing to share?  Is it
more pronounced just at the bass end of the harp, or is it all over?

It's also possible that the string noise is just part of this woman's
playing technique.  The same can also be said for people who play other
stringed instruments.

jms