[Ardour-Users] Crash - I'm really going nutsy here...

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Oct 10 17:45:45 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 19:10 -0400, Michael Dunn wrote:
> >Michael Dunn wrote:
> >>  Tried using MANY undos - eventually it
> >>  crashed (report below) before any real changes had been undone.
> >
> >That was happening a lot to me.  Usually when an edit glitches in some
> >way, I try and undo, but it crashes.  It sounds like you're having as
> >many problems as I was having, and I more or less gave up trying for now.
> >
> >Strangely, some people claim to have no issues whatsoever and apparently
> >have no problems doing lots of real work in Ardour.
> >
> >Out of curiosity, what Linux distribution are you using?  What kind of
> >CPU?  And is your current version of Ardour one that you compiled
> >yourself, or is it from a binary package?
>
>     OSX .dmg 2.0.5.

Maybe I didn't ever say it loudly or strongly enough. There is a
*critical* flaw in the OS X versions before 2.1. This is caused by a bug
in an OS X system call that we were making - it returns memory to the
app that cannot be passed to free(2), but we did so anyway (because its
supposed to possible).

This can lead to major memory corruption and was the source of at least
many crashes close in time to when file import/embed was taking place.

Nobody should be using 2.0.5 or earlier on OS X without a very, very
good reason.