[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2,1 released

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 04:45:41 PDT 2007

On 10/4/07, Michael Dunn <md at cantares.on.ca> wrote:

> >brand new features, including native (X11-free) OS X support, and a
>
>     Huh???  I must be really stupid, because it sure looks to me like
> X11 is still there...

If you download the native package of Ardour, X11 is not required.

>     * new JACK control dialog
> >
> >       * if you don't want to use qjackctl and don't require
> >          and external JACK patcher (i.e. "Let me just run Ardour,
> >          dammit!") this dialog will you configure JACK. It only
> >          appears (as a tab in the new session dialog) if JACK
> >          is not running when Ardour is started.
>

>     One still needs to set the proper sample rate using Jack, one way
> or another.  It'd be real nice if a project knew what sample rate it
> was and behaved accordingly, regardless of whether Jack was there or
> not.  Also, when I disconnected Jack using the menu, it crashed
> (Jack, not Ardour).

You can set the sample rate within Ardour if Jack is not already running.
They don't resample as that introduces some distortion that might not
already be there.

    Hmmm, in the startup dialog, I can't change any of the advanced
> audio settings.
>
>     "Please wait while Ard".
>
>     Hmmmm, playback through internal spkrs is full of glitchy
> dropouts.  Hmmm.
>
>     Hmmm, I think I'm going back to 2.0.5...

Can't speak for this though.

       Seablade