[Ardour-Users] Missing Squiggles

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Mon Nov 26 23:25:54 PST 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 09:06:28AM +0200, DA. Forsyth wrote:
> On 26 Nov 2007 at 11:17, Ken Restivo murmured decisively:

> > > What does ardour display when the record level is way too low?
> > > Do you need to increase your level?  Does changing the vertical size
> > > of the track alter the behavior?  Does increasing the amplitude of
> > > the track after it's recorded, say by normalizing it, alter the
> > > behavior?
> > >

> > Nope. These are normalized, full-volume tracks. And they play that
> > way. And they show up on the meters fully in the yellow. Just no
> > squiggles (which I'm told are properly called "waveforms").
> >
> > What's up? Is there a bug open on this? Shall I open one?
>
> I had this a coupla weeks ago when trying to use software raid for
> recording.  it has miscreated the 'peak' files.  just close Ardour, delete
> the peak files for that project, then open ardour again.  it will grind
> for a bit as it recreates the peak files and the display will be updated.

Did not work.

Although, it's now complaining about the files not being where they used to be.

I think I've figured out what happens:
	1) Embed an audio file
	2) Do stuff
	3) Close the project
	4) wavpack the files. The hard link disaster occurs: there's now two copies.
	5) Unwavpack all the files. Gah, now there are two.
	6) Open the Ardour project

Deleting the peak files does not help. Trying to consolidate these two files by keeping only one of them then creates an unrecoverable no-waveform disaster. I think what may be happening is that Ardour is accessing two *separate* files, and expects that they are the same file?

I wish there were a way in Ardour to "re-home" the file. i.e. if Ardour can't find them, let the user tell it where to locate them.

I may try messing around with symlinks and see if that gets me anywhere. I doubt it though.

Until Ardour supports wavpack compression for projects, I think I'm just going to have to live with this one.

Thanks though!

-ken