[Ardour-Users] gak

Wed Nov 14 10:38:37 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 10:50 +0200, DA. Forsyth wrote:
> On 13 Nov 2007 at 0:35, bradley newton haug murmured decisively:
> > also,  do a SMART (I can't ever type that without thinking of homer
> > simpson) report on the drive.. in windows I use
> > speedfan to get a query from the drive. unsure of what to use under
> > linux.   Even if it is packaged new it could have a stupid high number
> > of remapped sectors which will cause all sorts of problems.
>
> there is a smart server for gnome, dunno about other tools.  I disabled it
> as being 'one more thing doing disky stuff'

He's talking about looking at the internal heath monitoring information
in the drive itself (something called SMART), just in case the disk is
having problems. There's a utility in Linux for that, smartctl (part of
the smartmontools package in Fedora).

Something like this:
  smartctl -d ata /dev/sda -H
will print a short health report for drive /dev/sda (or use "-a" instead
for a full report.

-- Fernando