[ardour-users] bcf2000 + ardour2.0.2 problems

Josh Parsons josh.parsons at stonebow.otago.ac.nz
Mon May 28 14:24:33 PDT 2007

Hi, all,

I'm having a number of problems with my shiny new BCF2000 and ardour2.0.2.

Some of these problems are hard to reproduce, so I'll describe some of
the more reproducible ones and see if anyone can help me fix those.

In Mackie mode, I find that the BCF's controls are unresponsive unless
"mcu" is set as mcu / mtc / midi port from the midi page of the options
window (i.e. twiddling ardour's faders with the mouse causes feedback on
the BCF, but twiddling the BCF's faders doesn't affect ardour).  But
that's clearly not how things are supposed to work, because if I do set
mcu as a midi source, then after I restart ardour,
I get the message "mcu already used as mmc port", and ardour won't
enable Mackie support until I go into the midi page of the options
window again and set "control" as mcu / mtc / midi port.

Even working around that problem, I find I get a lot of crashes and
segfaults with the BCF in Mackie mode.  The hardware on this machine is
very stable, and ardour never crashes on me when not using the BCF.
These problems are frequent, but hard to reproduce.

In Generic midi mode, things are much more stable, but I find I can't
bind the BCF's buttons to the record enable button of a track (record
enable does not respond to ctrl-middle-mouse-button).

Also (again difficulties reproducing this one) ardour sometimes (but not
every time) apparently forgets the midi bindings in a load / save cycle.
 That is, I've had a session with the faders and some effects bound to
the BCF's controls in Generic mode, only to find that these bindings are
lost when I load the next day.

Finally - not really ardour's fault, but someone here may be able to
help me - I find that rosegarden stomps on the BCF2000's faders
(bringing them all up to 0) when it starts up. (This doesn't happen in
Mackie emulation mode, only generic).  So if I am running ardour with
the BCF in Generic mode, and then start rosegarden, the BCF's faders all
zip to 0, and ardour gets confused and will no longer talk to the BCF.

I am using the 2.6.21-rt6 realtime linux kernel on an amd64 system
running gentoo.

- --
Josh Parsons
Philosophy Department