[ardour-users] portable 2 (or more) channel audio interface recommendations?

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Tue May 22 14:32:42 PDT 2007

On Tue, 22 May 2007 22:21:49 +0100
Steven Chamberlain <steven at pyro.eu.org> wrote:
> Dan Tepper wrote:
> > if it were me - for 2 tracks - i'd get one of those new flash recorders
> > - way easier to deal with than computer + interface. and smaller.
>
> That reminds me, maybe even a Sony DAT Walkman would do a decent job
> (though only 16-bit / 48kHz), if one can be found cheap second-hand (or
> if you already have one).  The mics would need separate preamp units or
> a mixer with phantom power -- perhaps a small mixer (eg.
> Phonic/Tapco/Behringer) which might even have the highpass filters
> Justin was after.

I'm a huge fan of my M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96 recorder.  It's easy to use,
sounds great, and even provides phantom power to mics.  You need 1/4"
TRS-XLR cables to make that work, though.  Still, it makes a nice little
unit, and the 2GB microdrive I got gives me well over 3 hrs of recording
time at 44MHz/16 bit, and it interfaces easily as a USB storage device.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack2496-main.html
  and a review site:
http://www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com