[ardour-users] Automation problems

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun May 20 05:57:58 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 07:12 +0000, John Emmas wrote:

> with automation) but any attempt to write automation causes the audio
> playback to skip & stutter quite noticeably.  Is there a setting somewhere
> that I could change to improve this?

problems with playing automation would suggest increasing the JACK
period size. problems with writing automation would suggest a bug. i'll
do some tests here myself next week.

> Perhaps another indicator is my buffer settings. On my system they're always
> quite high but I don't know if this is normal.  Here are the kinds of value
> that I typically see:-
>
> Buffers:- p = 88%  c = 99%  DSP = 40%

the buffer numbers *should* stay high - they indicate that the disk
subsystem is keeping up with ardour.

the DSP load value should stay low. 40% is quite substantial ... i can
run a 25 track session on a 3GHz laptop with about 8% DSP load. on most
systems (mac, linux), getting close to 80% is certain doom for click
free audio.