[ardour-users] Ardour 2.0 and BCF2000

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Thu May 17 17:26:56 PDT 2007

On 17 May 2007 at 20:11, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 16:34 -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > On 17 May 2007 at 15:42, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> > > You need to connect one of these two:
> > > to this:
> >
> > I tried maybe just about every combination of those connections
> > using my freshly rebuilt qjackctl.  But, none of them resulted in
> > my being able to slide a slider and watch ardour's mixer window
> > respond, nor the other way around.  Could anyone out there give
> > me just a little bit more help with this please?
>
> the first thing to check is that MIDI messages are getting through.
>
> Windows->Options Editor->MIDI->trace input (for the mcu port)
>
> then move the faders, and check in the terminal window where you started
> ardour.

Well, no output in that window when I move the sliders.  From the
name "trace input" I would expect to see some text spew by in
that xterm.  I did the above experiment just now for a variety of
connectivity in qjackctl's MIDI patchbay between the BCF2000 and
ardour.  Still an empty trace.  I'm connected via the USB cable
that came with the BCF2000 and not via a standard MIDI cable.
Would that make a difference?

> second, you need to enable either Generic MIDI control or Mackie Control
> protocols under Options->Surfaces. Assuming that you use Generic MIDI
> for the moment, you can then ctrl-middle click on a fader, wiggle the
> physical fader, and the binding should be established.

I see the "operate controller now" message pop up.  But, I think
I'm getting ahead of myself until I can get a trace of MIDI data.

> there is an argument that Generic MIDI should be on by default.

I suppose that would help me at some point.

Thanks again....

--
Kevin