[ardour-users] two features I'd really like to see in ardour.

Dan Tepper dan at wintaper.com
Sun May 13 21:36:57 PDT 2007

I've been using Ardour a quite a bit. Excellent program. Over the last 2
years there are two features I keep wishing for on almost every project
I work on. Just curious to see if anyone else thinks these would be of
use to the general public...

1. Drag-Lock: Similar to the current region "lock", Drag-Lock would
allow all operations on a region except dragging. This would assure that
multitrack sessions stay in sync. You would sill be able to
trim/edit/split regions, but accidental dragging would be prevented.
This could be added to the context menu for regions. Perhaps call it
"Lock Position" ?

2. In "narrow strip" mode on the mixer window, it would be nice to show
the current high-water peak in the edit box instead of the current fader
position (at least when recording). I record 26 tracks at once - but I
have to leave them all in wide mode because I need to see the highest
peak - which means I need to scroll horizontally to monitor everything.
Perhaps allow me to right-click the box and choose between the two.

I'm guessing #1 is not that tough to implement, dunno about #2.

thoughts?

-dan