[ardour-users] A real howto on audio recording

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Sun May 13 14:48:07 PDT 2007

On Sun, 13 May 2007, lanas wrote:

>  Is there an online or book detailed tutorial on audio recording that
> can be applied to using Ardour and associated tools like Jamin ?  I feel
> I know so little about the basics of audio recording on how to get good
> results, what to look for in mixing instruments, how to suppress noise
> from mics, how to use 'effects' for enhancing mixes instead than for
> blatant effects, how to 'successfully' record accoustic bass, etc...

There are a good number of resources, both online and in print, that cover
a lot of what you're looking for.  Also keep in mind that recording in the
studio has some different demands compared to recording live, but a lot of
the basic principles apply equally to both.

A Google search for "recording microphone techniques" or something similar
will yield some useful reading.

Some good books on recording and sound engineering that I've used are:
"Sound Reinforcement Handbook, Second Edition" by Gary Davis
http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reinforcement-Handbook-Gary-Davis/dp/0881889008/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b/103-7396981-8574254

This is a very technical read, and it's one that almost everyone who makes
a living from sound has in their library.

"The Mixing Engineer's Handbook" by Bobby Owsinski
http://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Engineers-Handbook-Mix-Audio/dp/0872887235/ref=cm_lmf_img_1_rdssss0/103-7396981-8574254

Online, you can also find lots of good information on Mix Magazine's
website, http://www.mixonline.com/, and other places like
http://www.prosoundweb.com/ but you may want to take it in small doses
because there will be lots of industry jargon...

Hope this helps
jms