[ardour-users] Crossfade noises

chris chris.m.simpson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 04:10:14 PDT 2007

Hi,
    I'm currently mixing a song with roughly 24 tracks, with a mixture
of a 6 track drum take, stereo guitars and mono takes of bass,
tambourine, vocals etc.. On doing some extreme clipping, like for
instance bringing the bassists slightly off timing into line (so
clipping at least once a bar for 5 odd minutes), i'm getting clicks from
the crossfades. But they're not just weird transients (though they sound
like that too), but that actually sound like snippets from other tracks.
    For instance, i'm clipping bass, and have it Solo'ed and have
everything else muted, yet between a given crossfade i can hear snippets
of the vocals.

    I'm guessing this isn't something i can change in a setting
somewhere, because isn't a feature i think i'd ever find useful. Mind
you, i have fiddled with the "layers/fades" tap in the options dialog
and tried numerous different settings in Options > Crossfades > etc.

    Is this a known bug? I've tried with the same effect on beta10 and
beta12. I haven't ever seemed to come across this in ardour before. I'm
also using freebob/edirol fa-101, which has created is share of issues,
but it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue. I get the same result on
trying to mixdown/export using the dummy jack server.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
        Chris.