[ardour-users] firewire raid boxes

Matthew Polashek matt at tinysongs.com
Fri Mar 23 16:06:16 PDT 2007

jms-

I made a 1 rack space dual IDE bay firewire enclosure for about
$120.  I've used it with much success for sessions with more than 16
tracks.  Also, I've used a second IDE bus to record 16 tracks
simultaneously on a live gig.  (4-hours non stop 16 tracks using OSX
on a G4 450 with a MOTU 2408 and PCI 324 card as the interface.)
Ardour + OSX + firewire = rock solid.

Firewire drive project:

http://tinysongs.com/FirewireHardDrive/FirewireHardDrive.html

IDE project:

Matthew Polashek
Home: 732.424.6153
Cell: 908.642.5770
matt at tinysongs.com
www.tinysongs.com
www.JandMJazz.com

On Mar 21, 2007, at 11:06 AM, ardour-users-request at lists.ardour.org
wrote:

> firewire raid boxes
Out of curiosity, is anyone here using ardour with external drive
enclosures using firewire back to your computer?  If so, is it a single
drive, RAID, or JBOD?  I'm mainly looking for feedback from people doing
higher track-count work, i.e. 16+ simultaneous tracks.

Option 2 is to pipe my optical outs into something like an Alesis
HD24 for
the initial tracking of the project, then pull the tracks into Ardour
for
the mix and post work.

jms