[ardour-users] donations

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Mar 21 17:53:51 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 18:16 -0400, Christian Muise wrote:
>   As I stated in a proposal to Ardour last year, I think SoC money
> should be fed back into the project where appropriate. I'd suggested
> to buy the Mackie Control Surface with the initial money and develop
> with it.

two of our mentors (taybin & jesse) have never really been paid for the
hundreds or thousands of hours that they have put into ardour, and given
that mentoring does involve some work (granted, we had some great,
skilled and experience people last year, so a bit less for us than some
projects perhaps), i think its right that they get paid.

the students deserve the money that google pays them, and we could
certainly not justify consuming 25% of their payment for this purpose.
if a student really wanted an MCU anyway, i guess this as good a way of
getting one as any, but i would not want to push such a idea myself.

>   Would there be interest for another proposal of the sort this year?

well, the thing is that john anderson has already written most of the
code required for Mackie Control support. what is missing at this point
are details and ergonomic design that can only be done if you actually
have the system. i am not sure its a particularly good use of an SoC
project, but its nota bad one either.

--p