[ardour-users] Basic editing for a newbie

Taybin Rutkin taybin at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 20 05:17:19 PDT 2007

On Mar 20, 2007, at 5:14 AM, John Emmas wrote:

> Let's say I've recorded a piece of music which has an intro lasting
> (approx)
> 10 seconds.  I want to remove that intro and tidy up the edit.  I'd
> imagine
> that there would be 3 stages to this, namely:-
>
> 1) Make a cut in the audio, approximately 10 seconds from the
> beginning.
> 2) Remove the unwanted 10 sec segment.
> 3) Tidy up the front of the wanted segment (i.e. edit it more
> precisely,
> maybe add a fade-in etc).

Ardour has a couple ways of dealing with this.  The most straight
forward way is to simply drag the edge of the region to where you
want it to start, effectively "cutting" the region.

Each region has a built in fade mechanism that you can edit by
clicking and dragging on the little square box in the upper corners.
That will give you a linear fade.  You can right click on that fade
to change it to a different sort of fade.

Another method for cutting is to line the "edit head" over where you
want to cut the region.  You do this by either dragging the edit head
around (it's the blue one) over to the region, or you can hover the
mouse over the region and hit the 'e' key.  Then select "split
region" from the popup menu.

Taybin