[ardour-users] A few questions

Carl Hetherington lists at carlh.net
Thu Mar 1 05:56:32 PST 2007

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 01:00:42PM +0000, Carl Hetherington wrote:
>>
>> 1.  Can I have groups of regions, so that e.g. cutting one of the regions
>> in the groups applies the same cut to the other regions in the group?  Are
>> these called "edit groups"?  How do I set one up?
>
> Just select several tracks via shift-clicking and then cut.

Yes, I see how I can do that.  But can I avoid having to select several
tracks/regions each time if I know I'm always going to edit them as a
group?  I'm thinking of multiple mic recordings of a single source, for
example.

>> 2.  I notice that, perfectly logically, one can't insert (for example) a
>> stereo plugin into a mono track.  I expect there's a planned neat solution
>> to this "limitation"; any clues as to what it is?  Is there any way I can
>> insert the plugin anyway and get ardour to just use one of its channels?
>
> Insert a mono to stereo plugin. afterwards connect only one output of the
> track.

Aha! Thanks.  Perhaps there could be an option for this to be done for
you...

>> 3.  Automation: I can draw gain automation over a region with the "draw
>> gain automation" tool, but how does this relate to the automation "tracks"
>> that become visible when I do "show all automation" on a track?  How can I
>> draw automation into /these/ tracks?
>
> The envelopes on regions and the automation tracks are independent.
> Just click on the automation track to add a node. You might have to
> use the Object tool, not sure from memory if Gain tool works there
> right now.

Ah right, I hadn't realised that there was independent region and track
automation.  I'll have a go later.

Thanks very much for your reply!

Carl