[ardour-users] Fwd: [LAU] Ardour: fixing errors in a recorded track (was: DAW usability)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 09:30:12 PDT 2007

On 6/17/07, Jan Depner <eviltwin69 at cableone.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 13:43 +0200, Hein Zelle wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm new to this list, so apologies if some of these questions have been
> > posted recently.  I posted this to the linux-audio-users list, but
> > figured it would be more topical here.
> >

> > I have some
> > questions on using ardour, which I've only partially solved after
> > reading the manual.  I'd like to hear how people tackle this, step by
> > step, possibly including what to click and how.
> >

> > Problem 1:  I've just recorded a single track. It's mostly OK, but
> > there's a piece where I goofed up, or the microphone got touched and
> > crackled, or something similar.
> >

>     Punch in/out over the section.
>
> Select punch in and punch out (top right of editor window)
> Place playhead cursor at the punch out location (move cursor and press
> p)
> Under the Windows menu select Locations
> Push the second Set button beside Punch
> Move the playhead cursor to the punch in point
> Push the first Set button beside Punch
> Move the playhead cursor somewhere before the punch in/out section
> Enable recording (track and master)
> Press play
>
>     Note: I never really figured out how to make multiple punch in/out
> points.  I'm not sure if you can.  However, I only ever needed one at a
> time anyway so it wasn't a big problem.  One thing that will throw you
> is that if you try to redefine the punch in/out points after the first
> time Ardour will not allow you to set the punch in point after the punch
> out point or the punch out point before the punch in point.  If you want
> to place the new punch in/out after the present one you need to set the
> punch out point first.  If you want to set it before the present one you
> have to set the punch in point first.

Has Ardour ever solved the loop-recording/punch in task?

This is probably the biggest reason a moderately skilled player like
me really enjoyed recording in Pro Tools. In PT I could setup a
punch-in range where I wanted to rerecord, basically since my first
take was junk for a certain number of bars. I could loop PT over a
longer range both before and after the punch in points so that I could
get the groove before hand and not cut of my recording at the end. PT
took care of adding and naming a new audio take for each time I looped
over the punch-in range and put them in a play list for me to choose
the one I finally wanted to keep. I might record the same 8 or 16 bars
20 times to get things sounding good, trying different ideas, etc.
After that it was easy to delete the new takes that I wasn't going to
use and the moderate skilled player ended up with what sounded like
one coherent take.

Without this feature (and without MIDI) Ardour has become a tool I
only use once in awhile anymore for live recordings.

- Mark