[ardour-users] Fwd: [LAU] Ardour: fixing errors in a recorded track (was: DAW usability)

Brett W. McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 05:04:45 PDT 2007

On 6/17/07, Hein Zelle <hein at icce.rug.nl> wrote:

> I'm new to this list, so apologies if some of these questions have been
> posted recently.  I posted this to the linux-audio-users list, but
> figured it would be more topical here.
>

> I have some
> questions on using ardour, which I've only partially solved after
> reading the manual.  I'd like to hear how people tackle this, step by
> step, possibly including what to click and how.
>

> Problem 1:  I've just recorded a single track. It's mostly OK, but
> there's a piece where I goofed up, or the microphone got touched and
> crackled, or something similar.

I'd punch in over the 'bad sections'. It's the easiest solution.

> Problem 2:
>
> after recording, I want to either play or export my recording.  Ardour
> doesn't stop at the end of the recording by itself.  At one point, I
> suddenly had an "end" marker where it would stop and return to the
> beginning.  How do I get that marker?  How do I remove it again?

Just move the end marker to where you want the playback to stop.  If
you can't find it, you may need to zoom out so you can see it. It's
placed automatically for you.

> Problem 3:
>
> export project to audio file.  Sometimes this gives me an empty audio
> file (no signal) of the correct length.  I suspect this has to do with
> selecting tracks before exporting, but I would expect "export project"
> to not care about that.  Any ideas what I may be doing wrong there?

Yes, make sure you are selecting the tracks you want to export. This
is *not* done automatically for you. The export dialog will allow you
to do this.

> Problem 4:
>
> coupling ardour and rosegarden together for midi accompaniment.  This
> works fine with rosegarden in "slave" mode, I can control
> start/stop/record from either program.  However, they don't copy
> eachothers settings for beats-per-minute and time signature.  Is it
> possible to automatically carry that information over from one program
> to the other?

I don't think this is possible via Jack synch. It might work with MTC,
but I'm not sure about this, though, and it might only do tempos, not
time signatures (which Ardour wouldn't know what to do with anyway,
since it doesn't handle MIDI data).

-- Brett