[ardour-users] portable 2 (or more) channel audio interface recommendations?

david headon davidheadonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 4 16:22:27 PDT 2007

Hold the phone!
does the HDSP not just do ADAT sync with additional units?
 I have mine running as master, and as soon as it sees the 8pre it locks in straight away.
 I'd have thought annother 8pre would simply slave to the HDSP no?

Dan Tepper <dan at wintaper.com> wrote: Yep - agree with Jesse...

I looked at the 8pre -- nice unit, but without Word Clock there is no
way to sync more than one thru the hdsp.

Also, anything with Firewire scares me (read:prosumer). I just setup a
friends 8pre (via firewire on winders) - it is a nice unit - but not
nearly as plug and play (and flexible) as the octopre/hdsp/linux.

The big problem with firewire is the proprietary apps needed to make
adjustments are all windows or mac apps, so you end up losing some
functionality. (knobs are so 20th century)

IMHO

-dan

Jesse Chappell wrote:
> On 6/4/07, Justin M. Streiner  wrote:
>
>> That's pretty much the direction I'm heading with my larger rig.  My MOTU
>> 8pre should be showing up tomorrow, so I'll find out how well it plays
>> with my digiface/HDSP cardbus setup.  If everthing works out well, I'll
>> order two more 8pres later this summer.  The only thing I don't like about
>> it is that there's no word clock on the box.  Looks like I'll have to sync
>> over the lightpipes.
>
> How will you sync when you have more than one 8pre?  Seems like word
> clock is a critical feature when using multiple units like this and an
> interface like the digiface or hdsp9652, and I would be hesitant to
> buy any hardware without it.
>
> jlc

like the dream I've lived inside,
 like a lifetime flashing in front of my eyes,
 like every good thing
 that i tried
 to find

 The Swimmer - By Steve Banks