[ardour-users] 48 channels on ardour

Nikla Ratinen nikla.ratinen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 02:02:40 PDT 2007

Hi,

You should have no problems at all with that hardware.

For a reference, here's what I'm powering my "mobile" hobbyist 16I/O
studio with:

Ardour 2.0.3 on UbuntuStudio (low latency kernel, not realtime), booted off
from a usb drive - the usb drive is nothing amazing, just a regular el
cheapo Lacie.
Also, I currently use this same usb drive for system and audio... The
machine is a 1.7 Ghz
centrino laptop w 2GB mem and connected via pcmcia to Echo Layla 24 +
ADA 8000
for 16 inputs and 16 outputs.

The 4 song project I'm currently mixing has ~30 tracks total per song,
heavy bussing and a bunch of
ladspa/vst plugins, track automation etc - still the system works semi
ok; occasional crashes though,
mostly when touching vst plugins during playback or when the zoom level
is high.
Out of the 30 tracks, first 16 were taken simultaneously (drums + bass
base session) and the
rest are overdubs. During recording sessions the system worked
flawlessly and with very light
load, but there wasn't any plugins/bussing/automation in use at that point.

I also have another older 900 MHz Pentium III laptop to which I've
installed UbuntuStudio + Ardour.
This one is booting from its internal drive, I think its 5400 rpm
although it might be even slower. Anyway,
I intend to use this one for recording a couple of live gigs later in
fall. I've tested it can take at least 45
minutes of continuous recording with full 16 inputs without xruns.

Cheers,
-- Nikla